Mac Studio Computers
- Mount Prospect residents may reserve the Mac Studio computers up to one week in advance
- Non-residents may use on a first come, first serve basis
- Reservations can be made for up to 3 hours and may be extended if there is no demand for the equipment
- Call, chat, or visit the 2nd Floor Research desk with your questions and to reserve
What You Can Do
- Digitize VHS tapes
- Edit videos
- Design graphics
- Layout a newsletter
- Scan and touch up photos
- Design 3D models
- Build websites
- Create motion graphics
- Burn DVDs
Resources & Tutorials
- Mac Studio Quick Start Steps: Scanning Photos
- Mac Studio Quick Start Steps: Scanning Documents
- Mac Studio Quick Start Steps: Scanning Slides
- Mac Studio Quick Start Steps: Editing with QuickTime
- Mac Studio Quick Start Steps: Photoshop Retouching
- Mac Studio Quick Start Steps: FAQ Saving Files
- LinkedIn Learning
- Gale Presents: Udemy
- O’Reilly for Public Libraries
- Gale Courses
Patrons accept responsibility for their own materials while using MPPL Digital Creative Workstation equipment and understand that there is reasonable risk involved in using the equipment, including but not limited to potential damage to VHS tapes, film negatives and strips, slides, and other materials. The patron agrees to hold the Library harmless in the event of damage or loss.
Conversion and digitization equipment are not “professional” grade. The Library is not responsible for the quality of digitized media.
Patrons working on digital media projects (video, music, graphic, photo editing, digitization) will be given priority to use the MPPL Digital Creative Workstations. The workstations are not intended for general computer use.
Copyright law prohibits duplicating commercial works. Patrons are bound to the requirements of United States Code, Title 17, and all other applicable provisions of state and federal law.
List of hardware devices available
- Buffalo Bluray Burner and Optical Drive
- Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner
- Mac Studio Desktop Computer
- VHS VCR
List of software programs available
- Acrobat – More Info
- Used to view, create, manipulate, print and manage Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
- After Effects – More Info
- A digital visual effects, motion graphics, and compositing application that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Aero – More Info
- An augmented reality authoring and publishing tool that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Animate – More Info
- A multimedia authoring and computer animation program that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Audition – More Info
- A digital audio workstation for mixing/editing that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Blender – More Info
- A free and open source 3D creation suite
- Character Animator – More Info
- Desktop application software product that combines real-time live motion-capture with a multi-track recording system to control layered 2D puppets drawn in Photoshop or Illustrator that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Dimension – More Info
- 3D rendering and design software that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Dreamweaver – More Info
- A web development tool that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Illustrator – More Info
- A vector graphics editor and design program that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- InDesign – More Info
- A desktop publishing and page layout designing software application that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Lightroom – More Info
- Creative image organization and image manipulation software that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Photoshop – More Info
- A raster graphics/image editor that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Photoshop Elements – More Info
- As a less complex version of Photoshop within the Adobe Creative Cloud, it specializes as a graphics editor for photographers, image editors and hobbyists.
- Premiere Pro – More Info
- A timeline-based and non-linear video editing software application that is part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- GarageBand – More Info
- A set of digital audio workstations for MacOS.
- iMovie – More Info
- Basic video editing software for MacOS.
- VLC Media Player – More Info
- A free and online cross-platform media player software and streaming media server.
- Handbrake – More Info
- A free online transcoder for digital video files.
- Microsoft Office – More Info
- A set of multi-media applications created by Microsoft that serve a variety of functions including word processing and spreadsheet creation.
- Toast 20 Pro – More Info
- Optical disc authoring and media conversion software created by Roxio for MacOS
- Epson ScanSmart – More Info
- Scanning software for Epson scanner
- Epson Scan 2 – More Info
- Software for image scanning and processing, including photos, documents and slides, developed by Epson for their line of scanners.
- Quicktime – More Info
- An extensible multimedia framework capable of handling various formats of digital video, picture, sound, panoramic images, and interactivity for MacOS.
Funding for this grant was awarded by the Illinois State Library, a Department of the Office of Secretary of State, using funds provided by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services, under the provisions of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA).