Mission, Vision, and Values
Our mission is cultivating community connections, inspiring learning, and enriching lives. Our vision is a connected community with opportunities for exploration and growth.
- Community Focus. Providing relevant services and fostering community connections
- Adaptability. Being nimble and flexible to creatively meet changing needs.
- Inclusivity. Supporting and valuing the diverse needs of all.
- Welcoming Environment. Creating an inviting, safe, and easy to use environment.
- Accessibility. Ensuring easy access to materials and services whenever and wherever needed.
- Learning. Encouraging an ongoing pursuit of knowledge and discover that enriches lives.
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion
We at the Mount Prospect Public Library celebrate the diversity of identity, experience, and thought, and actively work to be inclusive. We aspire to move our community forward by supporting and educating patrons regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, physical ability, race, sexual orientation, or any other dimension of diversity. We recognize that equity and inclusivity do not happen overnight, and that we are on a journey to listen, learn, and do better. We are committed to: Purchasing and promoting works created by diverse authors; Developing programs that include diverse voices and address social issues; Creating a diversity recruiting strategy; and Developing and nurturing relationships with the diverse voices in our community
Our staff Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee is dedicated to exploring, sharing, and implementing the key concepts of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our library services. Through staff training, we strive to foster a culture of inclusiveness and acceptance.
During our journey there are bound to be times when we can do better, and when that happens, we promise to address it directly, with humility and a desire to improve. We pledge to listen to our community, take their needs and interests seriously, and keep learning throughout our journey.
Equity removes barriers so that everyone has the tools to thrive and succeed. We acknowledge that disadvantages for certain groups have led to an imbalance of opportunities. By being adaptable and meeting people where they are, the Mount Prospect Public Library works to ensure that everyone has access to collections, programming, and services.
Diversity celebrates the visible and invisible differences between people. Every member of our community contributes to diversity by bringing their whole selves into our space. Mount Prospect Public Library recognizes, values, and embraces differences, and by extension, every individual. We strive to have people see themselves reflected in the library’s collections, programming, services, staff, and board.
Inclusion creates a space where all individuals feel welcome, respected, valued, and accommodated. We strive to anticipate and meet needs by being active partners in the community and working to make our spaces and services accessible to everyone.
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Memoirs
- Economic Justice
- Social Justice in Fiction and Nonfiction
- Women’s History
- Arab American Voices in YA Fiction & Nonfiction
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Voices in YA Fiction
- Black Voices & Black Stories – YA Nonfiction
- Black Voices in YA Fiction
- Disabled and Neurodiverse Voices in YA Fiction
- Indigenous Voices in YA Fiction & Nonfiction
- Latinx Voices in YA Fiction
- LGBTQ Voices in YA Fiction
- LGBTQ Voices and Stories in YA Nonfiction
- Anti-Racist Picture Books
- Anti-Racist Books for Grades 2-3
- Anti-Racist Books for Grades 4-6
- Black Joy
- Pride Picture Books (K-2)
- Pride Books for Tweens (4th-6th grade)