The end of the year is a common time to make charitable gifts to nonprofit organizations. Some are inspired to participate in Giving Tuesday, while others are thinking ahead to their tax returns. Whatever your reason for getting caught up in the spirit of generosity, there are free resources available to help you make informed decisions about the organizations you choose to support.
Here are some resources to help you make a positive impact through your charitable endeavors:
- National Directory of Nonprofit Organizations – This print resource is available inside the library, in the reference section.
- Charity rating guide & watchdog report – Published by the American Institute of Philanthropy, this newsletter is available in the periodical section of the library.
- ProPublica Nonprofit Explorer – View financial details from millions of tax returns filed by tax-exempt organizations.
- GuideStar – This free nonprofit lookup includes many IRS 990 forms. A free account is required to view the most detailed information.
- Charity Navigator – Find independent ratings from an organization that is dedicated to supporting charitable giving.
To read more a about philanthropy, charitable giving, non-profit organizations or social entrepreneurship, the library has many titles on the shelves. Some suggestions to get started:
For help accessing any of these resources, stop by the Research Desk at the library, or contact us to request a reference appointment.