Are you a teen interested in being a Library volunteer?
Consider the Library’s Volunteen program, especially for students in grades 7 – 12.
- You must have completed sixth grade to be a Project Volunteen, Summer Reading Program Volunteen, or a Let’s Be Friends Volunteen
- Nonresidents may apply, but priority will be given to Mount Prospect residents.
- You must be responsible.
- You must complete and return a signed application. Applications will be held for six months. After that time, you must reapply.
- Please note: Volunteen time slots are highly competitive and often very limited. Filing an application does NOT guarantee selection for a Volunteen time slot.
What volunteer opportunities are available to young people?
- Plan on two hours per week for a minimum total time of 20 hours.
- Teens will be responsible for projects as assigned by Library staff.
- Orientation is offered in May and on an individual basis throughout the year for open spots.
Summer Reading Volunteen (June and July only)
- Plan on two hours per week, June 1-July 31, depending on school schedules.
- You will talk with younger children and their parents about the Youth summer reading program and give out prizes. You will enjoy this most if you are a “people person” – enthusiastic, interested in kids, and able to communicate well.
- Orientation is held in May.
Let’s Be Friends Volunteen
- Plan on 6.5 hours for each session, which includes a 2-hour orientation and three 1.5-hour programs.
- You will be paired as a buddy with a child to help them participate in fun activities and make friends. You will enjoy this most if you are a “people person” – enthusiastic, interested in kids, and able to communicate well.
- Orientation is held before each session and is required to become a Let’s Be Friends Volunteen.
For more information about the Library Volunteen program, please stop by the Youth Services Desk. The Library requires at least a one-week notice if special accommodations are needed. Fill out an application today!