Explore the rich culture of the Philippines with the energetic SamaSama Project. This internationally known performing arts troupe will perform Filipino folk music and have an interactive demonstration of traditional Filipino instruments, including the unique kulintang at 11 a.m. Saturday, May 10. See the performers’ costumes that represent many of the Philippine islands, and get ready to move to this one-of-a-kind music! This lively family concert is sponsored by the Mount Prospect Public Library Foundation in honor of Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month. Click here to register all attendees, including adults and children.
The perennially popular Encore! Singers return to perform songs from great American songwriters and artists at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 28. Get ready for American favorites such as “You Can’t Take That Away From Me,” “Sunny,” “Great Balls of Fire,” and “What the World Needs Now Is Love.” There’s also an Irving Berlin medley, a Broadway medley, and an American patriotic tribute. Click here to register.
Join us for a cup of coffee and a lively round of current events on Friday evenings throughout the year. Sponsored by MPPLF, these informal gatherings, known as Coffee & Conversation, provide an open, nonpartisan forum for community members to share their views. The discussions are moderated and strive to encourage a greater understanding of diverse viewpoints. The next Coffee & Conversation will be held on Friday, April 25 and May 16 beginning at 7:30 p.m. No registration is necessary; just drop in.
The Unbelievable Chocolate Raffle ended on a sweet note for thirteen area residents who won specialty baskets and items featured in the annual event. Sponsored by the MPPL Foundation, the event began on Wednesday, January 29 and concluded with the drawing in the lobby of the Library on Thursday, February 13.
The baskets were all chocolate-themed and included a bounty of delicious treats along with gift certificates to area businesses and restaurants. Pictured here is a young visitor to the Library assisting Library staff and Foundation members with the drawing.
The winners in the Unbelievable Chocolate Raffle are:
- Chocolate Carnival – Laura Lockwood, Mount Prospect
- Lights, Camera, Chocolate!- Eleanor Slesicki, Mount Prospect
- Dark, Decadent and Devine – Colleen Hatch, Des Plaines
- Special Occasion – Mary Lange, Mount Prospect
- No Sugar Added! – Judy Clutters, Mount Prospect
- Sweet Dreams… - Chuck Casselo Jr., Mount Prospect
- TJ’s Temptations – Shane Mitan, Arlington Heights
- Fountain of Youth – Ashley Wenson, Mount Prospect
- Breakfast Bounty! – Sann Knipple, Mount Prospect
- Homerun Chocolate – Ben Schenkenfelder, Mount Prospect
- Toffee Break – Robert Reiser, Des Plaines
- Laughter (and Chocolate) is the Best Medicine – Burt Schultz, Mount Prospect
- Amore/South Branch - Julie Kane, Elk Grove Village
Thank you to all the organizations, businesses, volunteers and individuals who generously supported the event, and congratulations to all the winners!
Thanks to your generous support the MPPL Foundation proudly sponsors a wide array of cultural and educational programs each year. Our free-of-charge programs reach children, teens, and adults and strive to entertain, educate, and enlighten. To enjoy a sampling of programs sponsored by the Foundation, follow the links below to Library Life.
|Click here to view Young Yogis!|
|Click here to view In Praise of Gospel Music|
|Click here to view MPPL Foundation Presents: An Irish Concert|
|Click here to view Chinese Folk and Classical Dance|
Bring any of the following items to the Library and drop them in the bright pink collection bin near the Registration Desk:
- Cell phones – no chargers or accessories
- Ink-jet cartridges – small enough to fit in the palm of your hand (no toner)
- Apple iPads and Tablets
- Apple iPods
Since 2007, monies earned from Recycling Fundraiser have helped to support the Foundation in its ongoing mission of funding special events and other services at the Library.