Library Card Information
Library cards are free to anyone who resides within the Village limits of Mount Prospect. To obtain a card, bring in one (1) form of identification that shows your current name and address, to the Registration Desk at the Main Library or the South Branch. The library reserves the right to ask for additional identification. Cards for children under 18 years of age must be countersigned by a parent or legal guardian with proof of guardianship before receiving a card.
Forgot your card? The Circulation staff will check out items to Registered cardholders with a current Illinois driver’s license or I.D. card. Or download and log into the Mount Prospect Public Library App to keep a virtual copy of your card on your phone.
Identification for Library Card
(Paper or virtual formats will be accepted.)
- Illinois driver’s license or state I.D. with current Mount Prospect address
- Checks imprinted with current Mount Prospect address
- Illinois voter’s registration
- Current utility bill—within the last two months
- Lease or mortgage papers
- Apartment or condominium I.D. The property must be within the village limits of Mount Prospect and have the complex name on the I.D.
- Vehicle sticker renewal form—printed with a current Mount Prospect address. This form cannot be handwritten
- Payroll check with a current date
- Homeowner’s insurance papers with a current date
- Illinois driver’s permit—must be issued by the Secretary of State, not handwritten
Cards for Kids Program
Pre-K—12 students who live in nearby unincorporated areas not served by the Mount Prospect Public Library may be eligible for a free MPPL library card. The Cards for Kids Program ensures students have a library card when they:
- Reside in an unincorporated area not served by a library or library district AND
- Attend a public or nonprofit private Pre-K—12 school served by the Mount Prospect Public Library AND
- Are eligible for free or reduced lunch at school
To qualify for the Cards for Kids Program, households must meet the Income Eligibility Guidelines used to determine eligibility for free and reduced meals under the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
To sign up for a student card under this program, a parent or guardian needs to complete the attestation form and provide identification with their current name and address. Please bring the form to the Patron Services desk or South Branch desk.
Para Español: Certificación del programa Tarjetas para Niños
Polskie: Karty dla Dzieci – Zaświadczenie
For assistance and questions, please contact the Registration Department (847-253-5675) or South Branch (847-590-4090).
Library cards may be purchased by individuals or families living in an area that is not taxed for public library service by Mount Prospect. The cost of this card is based on the amount of taxes paid by residents. For more information, contact the Registration Department. Nonresidents must purchase their card or apply for a free card under the Cards for Kids Act at the public library that is within their current school district. Mount Prospect nonresident and business library cards can be used at libraries which participate in the nonresident reciprocal borrowing program. If you have questions, please contact the Registration Department at 847/253-5675.
Not a resident of Mount Prospect? You may be able to borrow materials with a valid card from your home library. Cards are active for 1 year. To register your card, bring in your library card with one (1) form of identification which shows your name and address to the Main Library or South Branch. See the Circulation Policy for current checkout limits to reciprocal borrowers.
E-notices (Hold and overdue notices over e-mail)
The Mount Prospect Public Library offers email notification when an item you put on hold is available for pickup, and to alert you that items are coming due or are overdue. Email notifications replace the paper notices you receive via US Mail, as well as telephone calls.
We can also notify you by text message when an item you have on hold is available for pickup. To sign up for text message notifications, please go to the patron services desk.