Training materials (in pdf format) from online resources classes can be viewed and/or printed. Please ask at the Reference desk for further assistance
- Building Job Skills to Be More Marketable
Invest in yourself—take active steps to improve your computer skills, polish your résumé, and develop your personal and professional interests.
- The Definitive Resource – LexisNexis
How to retrieve news, legal and company information from this very rich source.
- Exploring Ancestry Library
How to search and retrieve data from Ancestry Library Edition.
- Exploring Internet Sites for Genealogists
Tips for searching several free genealogy-related websites including: Cyndi’s List, Family Search and Illinois State Archives.
- Generating Leads for Your Business or Job Search
ReferenceUSA, LexisNexis and Public Records.com to search for potential employers.
- Introduction to Research Methods
General overview to gathering articles, tapping into research databases, and appropriate citing sources.
- Online Health Information
A variety of free and subscription databases, including: Salem Health, Medline Plus and Mayoclinic.com
- Online Job Searching Essentials
Create online job search accounts, upload your résumé to online job applications, and search for job types, location, and salary range.
- Online Resources for Do-It-Yourself Projects
Learn about online resources that can help you learn a new language, try a new craft, help with a home repair issue, and repair your car.
- Online Resources to Tell Your Own Story
An overview of web resources presented during National Library Week 2011.
- Opening and Expanding a Business in Mt Prospect
Village staff present guidelines for procedures, zoning, and permits for opening or expanding a business.
- Preparing for the Job Interview: Know the Company
Subscription databases including LexisNexis, and Reference USA to search company info.
- Property Tax Appeal Process
Guide to the Cook County property tax appeal process including relevant contact info and important web resources.
- Research your Portfolio
Morningstar Investment Research Center and Standard and Poor’s NetAdvantage to search investment information.
- Smart Shopping: Be an Informed Consumer
Search tips for several free consumer-related web sites, e.g. Consumer Search, Better Business Bureau and Kelley Blue Book.
- Web Resources for Newshounds
Historical, current, national, international and local news subscription databases: LexisNexis, Chicago Tribune and Daily Herald.
Computer Training @ MPPL
Training materials from select Computer Training classes can be viewed and/or printed. For more information and addition training see the Computer Training Schedule.
- Using Google Docs
Google Docs is a free, web-based service that lets you create, edit, and store documents on the web without downloading or purchasing special software. See how to create a document, upload documents, and share them with others
- Google: Don’t Just Search — Create Documents, E-mail, and More
Most people know Google as a search engine, but it offers so much more, for free! Discover these useful features: Gmail, Google calendar, Google docs, and more.
- PC Maintenance: Best Practices
Learn which basic, built-in computer utility programs will keep your PC running efficiently. This demonstration will show how to perform disk cleanup, defragment your hard drive, delete old files, and more.
- How Secure Is Your PC?
Learn how tools such as antivirus software and firewalls can help keep computers safe from hackers, scam artists, and viruses.
- Learn to Use Your Computer: Free Online Courses
Learn which online tutorials can help you master your computer. The ever-evolving Internet has opened the door to an array of free, readily available, quality online courses.
- Advanced Internet Skills: Using Internet Explorer 8
Internet users looking to get the most out of Internet Explorer will discover how to set the home page, “bookmark” favorite Web pages, and learn more about Internet Explorer® (IE8).
- Creating an Email Account in Yahoo
- Creating an Email Account in Hotmail
- Creating an Email Account in Google