Your eligibility depends on the foundations or charities to which you apply. Research will help you determine the best places to apply to meet your needs, whether individual or for an entire organization.
- Grants.gov Discusses types of grants available from federal government. There are grants, scholarships, financial assistance and similar programs. Funding or grants may be for a very specialized area, look for the ones that best suit your needs.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance – lists services, projects, programs. See the “General Info” link on this site, a CFDA overview, writing grant tips, and FAQs.
What is a Foundation?
Private and public foundations are organized for the purpose of providing funds in some form, such as grants, to organizations, businesses, groups, or individuals for designated research and other causes.
What is a Charity?
A charitable organization collects and distributes materials and money for those in need. It may also provide voluntary help.
Where can I find a charity or foundation that offers grants or assistance?
- Foundation Finder
- Foundations Research Guide maintained by University of Delaware Library
- GrantSpace easy-to-use, self-service tools and resources for nonprofits worldwide
- Grants.gov – find and apply for federal government grants
- USA.gov for Nonprofits: Government assistance for businesses and nonprofits
- National Institutes of Health Office of Extramural Research (OER)
- National Science Foundation – find funding
- Small Business Research Funding Opportunities – U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- GuideStar.org – search organization by name for description
- Give.org – charity reports from the Better Business Bureau
- Charity Navigator
- NOZA 990-PF Tax Return Search
- Foundation Center – research statistical data on charities
- Nonprofit Guides.org – Nonprofits Grants Resources Links
- Grants.gov – federal government grants and financial assistance
What is a proposal, and how would I write one?
Is there anything for scholarship searches?
Gale Virtual Reference Library, accessible from the Library Web Resources page, at the e-Net stations or from home with your MPPL library card, provides complete text of the six volume College Blue Book and of Scholarships, Fellowships and Loans.
- Register (free) on FastWeb to gain personalized information about scholarships, colleges, internships, jobs, and more.
I’m a teen, but I want to help—where can I learn about volunteering?
- There is a great deal of information on dosomething.org about projects and causes. Enter your zip code to learn what’s available in your area.
Reference Books in Print
|Grants Register||R 378.3 GRA|
|National Directory of Corporate Giving||R 361.765 NAT|
|National Directory of Nonprofit Organizations||R 658.048 NAT|
Reference: Available at Reference Desk
|Government Assistance Almanac||RD R 352.7097 GOV|