There are many Web resources to help you find reviews of products and companies. Some are part of exclusive Library resources, others are free. Consumer Reports is part of MasterFILE Premier. You can access it through a search for Consumer Reports in the Publications section of the resource, or you can use the link to search Consumer Reports directly:
- Better Business Bureau Accredits, rates, and lists complaints against businesses and charities.
- Chicago Consumers’ Checkbook Available in the Library; home users will be asked to register with Chicago Consumers’ Checkbook Contains articles and ratings on a wide variety of local service firms, professionals, and stores. Includes ratings for insurance companies, plumbers, heating and air conditioning contractors, auto repair shops, dentists, doctors and more.
- Cnet Reviews for tech products news, price comparisons, free software downloads, daily videos, and podcasts.
- ConsumerSearch.com This site reviews many products, cell phone and long distance phone service, online banking, insurance, and websites.
- Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation This site provides license and disciplinary information for individuals in many fields including health, interior design, real estate, and cosmetology.
- Yelp Largest and most popular website for reviews by consumers. This is the site to visit for reviews of restaurants, bars, stores and nightlife.
To Research Car Values
Review of Banks and Credit Unions
Reviews of Brokers & Financial Advisers
Reviews of Charities
- Charity Navigator
- Charity Watch: Charity Rating Guide & Watchdog Report (available in print with the Financial Newsletters)
For the “Best” Doctors
- Castle Connolly Guides
- Chicago’s Consumer CheckbookAvailable in the Library; home users will be asked to register with Chicago Consumers’ Checkbook
Reviews of General Doctors
Reviews of General Hospitals
- Chicago Consumers CheckbookAvailable in the Library; home users will be asked to register with Chicago Consumers’ Checkbook
- Medicare.gov Hospital Compare
Reviews of Specialty Hospitals
Reviews of Insurance Companies
- Chicago Consumers’ Checkbook Available in the Library; home users will be asked to register with Chicago Consumers’ Checkbook
- Consumer Reports