With summer vacations coming up here are a few ways to make your traveling more "green":
Before leaving home:
– Turn water heater to lowest setting.
– Appliances such as TV's and cable converter boxes should be unplugged because they can draw as much as
40 watts per hour even when they're off.
– Turn water off to your home in case a pipe were to break or a faucet were to start leaking.
Preparing for green travel:
– Purchase elctronic tickets whenever possible.
– Book flights that recycle. British Airways has a very strong environmental agenda.Southwest Airlines
recycles all cabin waste and was the first airline to offerelectronic ticketing.
– When possible use hotel or airport shuttles, or public transportation.
Things to do at the hotel (preferably a green one):
– During your hotel stay let management know that it is not necessary to change your sheets
and towels every day.
– Turn off lights and the air conditioning when leaving the hotel room.
– Avoid room service.
At your destination:
– Use a refillable water bottle instead of buying bottled water.
– Say no to plastic bags. Use your own eco-friendly reusable bag.
– Explore the city you’re visiting on foot, by renting a bike or taking public transportation.
– Take advantage of walking tours or self-guided audio tours at many attractions.
– Eat at an organic restaurant.
These are just a few tips about traveling green. You can find more at: