Health Coverage for the Unemployed

Assistance is becoming increasingly available for the unemployed in need of health benefits.
 
COBRA Continuation Coverage Assistance Under The American Recovery And Reinvestment Act Of 2009:  Eligible individuals pay only 35 percent of their COBRA premiums and the remaining 65 percent is reimbursed to the coverage provider through a tax credit. The premium reduction applies to periods of health coverage beginning on or after February 17, 2009 and lasts for up to nine months for those eligible for COBRA during the period beginning September 1, 2008 and ending December 31, 2009 due to an involuntary termination of employment that occurred during that period.
 
The unemployed and uninsured may visit Walgreens for free clinic visits through the end of 2009. Visits may include tests and routine treatment, however patients are responsible for prescriptions.