Activities From Home
Are you looking for a new activity to do while at home? Try one of these digital activities or resources including virtual museum visits, storytimes, and more. We’ll keep updating as we find more, so check back for more fun while also practicing social distance.
Youth Blogs & Videos
Notes from Storytime is a great place to learn new early literacy skills and resources that will help your child be ready to read.
Staff Picks for Kids has tons of reviews written by the Youth Services staff for books of all levels and genres.
MPPLTV is the Library’s YouTube channel and has many fun videos including storytimes and book reviews.
Read, Listen, and Watch
- TumbleBooks Library
- International Children’s Digital Library
- Sesame Workshop has made 110 Sesame Street ebooks free on multiple platforms. You can learn more by reading this press release.
- Brightly Storytimes posts weekly videos of Ms. Linda reading picture books.
- Kids Stories in ASL has a great collection of videos of kids and adults reading a picture book story in American Sign Language.
- Storytime From Space has astronauts reading while in outer space.
- These resources have celebrities and authors read to you.
- Wonderbook Weekends is a free read-along on Saturday and Sundays by Wonderbook and Playaway.
Sing and dance along with these great musical artists and groups.
Check the show notes to make sure the the episode you’ve chosen is a good fit for your family!
- Best Robot Ever
- Brains On! Science podcast for kids from American Public Media
- Forever Ago from American Public Media
- Grimm, Grimmer, Grimmest
- Myths and Legends
- Stories Podcast from Wondery
- Story Pirates from Gimlet
- Story Story Podcast
- Wow in the World from NPR
- At Home with Kwame Alexander has some great videos on teaching poetry. He also doing live readings of his book, The Crossover, on Instagram. Follow the Instagram hashtag, #AtHomeWithKwame, to watch.
- Homework Help has many resources you can use while studying at home. Some you don’t even need a library card to use.
- ABCmouse.com has a free trial for 30 days.
- Tutor.com is available with a library card.
- Khan Academy has video tutorials including a course called Imagineering in a Box that goes behind the scenes of Disney.
- Read, Wonder, and Learn!: Favorite Authors & Illustrators Share Resources for Learning Anywhere – Spring 2020 by author Kate Messner has a list of resources from various authors and illustrators.
- Dav Pilkey at Home is releasing weekly activities created by the author of Dog Man.
- Girls Who Code at Home is releasing weekly computer science activities.
- Harry Potter at Home lets you bring the magic from Harry Potter into your house.
- Hogwarts Digital Escape Room lets you try an escape room challenge from your home.
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems lets you join the author in his studio daily to explore drawing and writing.
- Virtual Disney World lets you experience Disney attractions and park areas without leaving your home.
Need a break from your computer or device screen? Find an activity here and then put the screen away.
Fitness & Movement
- GoNoodle has many videos that will get kids dancing and moving.
- Cosmic Kids Yoga has guided yoga videos that are especially for kids.
Virtual Field Trips
Visit a museum, aquarium, or zoo virtually! You can also watch animals through wildlife cameras in their habitats. Here are some of our favorites.
- Aquariums, Web Cams, & Zoos:
- Brookfield Zoo has live chats scheduled on Facebook.
- Cincinnati Zoo
- Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo’s Red Panda Cam
- Explore.org has many different web cams to explore. Two favorites are the Kitty Rescue Sanctuary and the Puppy Playroom.
- Hattiesburg Zoo Sloth Cam
- Houston Zoo
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- National Aquarium
- San Diego Zoo
- Smithsonian Zoo