Title: The Good Girl
Author: Mary Kubica
Page Count: 382 pages
Genre: Psychological Suspense
Tone: Compelling, Contemplative
Inner-city art teacher Mia Dennett is taken hostage by her one-night stand, Colin Thatcher, who, instead of delivering her to his employers, hides her in a cabin in rural Minnesota to keep her safe from harm.
These book discussion questions are highly detailed and will ruin plot points if you have not read the book.
The Library is happy to share these original questions for your use. If reproducing, please credit with the following statement: 2016 Mount Prospect Public Library. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.
1. Without going into detail of the why’s, did this book turn out to be what you were expecting?
2. The story is basically told through 3 people’s viewpoints. Did this type of storytelling work for you?
3. We are introduced and get to know Mia through other characters perceptions ( Eve and Colin). Did you feel like you got to know the character?
4. Let’s talk about Colin/ Owen. What did you think about him?
5. On the night of her abduction Mia leaves the bar with a stranger. How did this action affect your perceptions of her character?
6. What did you think about Eve not telling Detective Hoffman about Mia’s checkered past as he was beginning his investigation?
7. We all have our theories when reading these types of books, Initially, who did you think had Mia kidnapped and why?
8. What are your thoughts on the side characters (Jason/Grace/Delmar)?
9. Mia said to Colin that she (Mia) and her father are different people and that Grace was the one just like her father. What would you say about that statement?
10. Colin decides to hide Mia in a secluded cabin. There were many times he could have just left her and didn’t. Why did you think he decided to stay and as you were reading this, were you questioning his motivations?
11. Let’s talk about the lady with the flat tire. What did you think would happen?
12. Was there ever a point in the book where you hoped Colin and Mia wouldn’t be found?
13. What did you think of Colin’s relationship with his mother?
14. During the ongoing investigation Eve basically throws herself at Detective Hoffman. What was your reaction to that passage?
Eyes on You
by Kate White
by Jennifer DuBois
by Gillian Flynn