Even though the Daily Herald website is now going behind a paywall, you can still access the full text articles as they appear in the paper (minus photos). It's through our subscription with ProQuest Newsstand. This is a large collection of Daily Herald articles going all the way back to 1997so you will be able to gather a lot of background information.
It doesn't look like the Herald website, and you need to know what you're looking for. Here are some tips for making it easier:
1. Follow this link to The Daily Herald
2. Click on Advanced search link.
3. Put key words into the search box.
4. Limit by date using the drop down menu.
5. Click the search button.
6. The results will presented newest to oldest.
Since this is a database more than a news website, the articles are delayed by 24 to 48 hours. But if you want to browse all the articles from a particular day, here are the directions for that:
1. Underneath where it says Daily Herald (Chicago), select the Publications button.
2. There is really only one link in the results. It says Daily Herald, so click on it.
3. This brings you to the page containing the publication information. In the lower portion there's a section that says "Browse specific issues," and there are date ranges divided by decades. Click the + sign in front of the decade you wish to expand.
4. Then expand the year.
5. Expand the month
6. Now select the date you wish to browse
7. From here you will have a listing of all the articles in alphabetical order by title.