With the 4th of July upon us, many will be grilling for the holiday. Here’s a few things to keep in mind to keep your grilling practices as green as possible:
- Gas and propane grills are the cleanest burning grills. Natural charcoal burns dirty and emit greenhouse gases.
- Grills made of stainless steel and cast iron are the safest as they do not emit toxins in to the air.
- Use a charcoal chimney instead of lighter fluid if you are using a natural charcoal grill. Lighter fluid also releases toxins.
- Make sure your grill is the right size for your needs. One that is too large takes longer to heat up and wastes energy and produces excess heat.
- When cleaning your grill, make sure you use a natural grill cleaner.
- Consider grilling less meat or all vegetables. Try to purchase organic/locally grown meats and vegetables.