10 South Emerson, Mount Prospect, IL 60056 | 847/253-5675

News from the Reference Desk

Citizenship Test Q&A (2013)

We have many titles to help you prepare for the Citizenship Test, located near the Reference Desk. We also want to share the link to the 100 Civic questions and answers for the naturalization test, as made available by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

By Patricia Smolin on February 20, 2013 Categories: History, Immigration

Upwardly Global

Upwardly Global helps with resume writing and job placement support for the immigrant professional population with specialized skills. 
UpGlo works with both job seekers and potential employers. Qualifications to become a registered jobseeker within this program are available on their site.  
By MPPL on March 10, 2011 Categories: Employment, Immigration, Jobs

District 214 Community Education

Information about the ESL (English as a Second Language), ABE (Adult Basic Education), Read to Learn Adult Literacy, Citizenship, GED (English and Spanish) programs are available through District 214 Community Education.

Download 214 ESL_ABE_Citizenship 847-718-7725

Services to help you apply for Public Benefits/Food Stamps Assistance/Health Care, Jobs, and the Women’s and Children’s Center are also detailed in the following link. 

Download 214 Outreach  847-713-7719


By MPPL on September 13, 2010 Categories: Education, Employment, Health, Immigration, Literacy

Green Cards, Citizenships, Visas

A permanent resident card is also referred to as a green card.  Information and applications  for application, renewing and replacing are available at the Department of Homeland Security: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration site or by calling 800-375-5283.

The application for citizenship is the N-400 Application for Naturalization and details for fees and completing this form are also available on a section of the U.S. Citzenship and Immigration site.

Information regarding various types of visas needed for foreign citizens to travel to the U.S. are available on the Department of State: site.

By MPPL on August 24, 2010 Categories: Immigration, Travel

Assistance to Apply for U.S. Citizenship

Township High School District 214 – Community Education invites you to apply for U.S. Citizenship.  By appointment only, schedule by calling Ewa at 847-718-7730.

Please bring the following:

-    "Green Card" (Permanent Residence Card)

-    Social  Security Number

-    State ID or Driver’s License

-    $675 Money Order made out to USCIS for application and fingerprints (Applicants age 75 or older pay $595).

-    $70.00 (cash or check) for service fees

-    2 passport photos

-    Height (feet/inches) and weight (pounds)

-    Home addresses for the past 5 years (with dates). Employee names and addresses for the past 5 years (with dates). If in the past 5 years you were a student: name of school(s) and dates attended.

-    Dates when you left the United states and returned (day, month, year) since becoming a Permanent Resident.

-    Information about your husband or wife 9birth date, marriage date, Social Security Number, Permanent Resident number (on “Green card”) or if spouse became a U.S. citizen, bring the Certificate of Naturalization.

-    If you have been a Permanent Resident for 3 years and have been married to a U.S. Citizen for three years bring your marriage certificate.  If your spouse is a naturalized citizen, bring your spouse’s marriage, the date the marriage ended, and his/her immigration status.

-    Information about your children: full names, birth date, country of birth, Permanent Resident number (“green card”) and current address.

-    For men who have lived in the U.S. between ages 18 & 26: Selective Service number & date of registration. If you have not registered, you must do so before applying for citizenship. Call Selective Service at 847-688-6888.

-    Police records and/or court dispositions of any arrests or court appearances.

By MPPL on April 26, 2010 Categories: Immigration