Sausage, Sage and Butternut Squash Quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, cubed and roasted (or 1 bag frozen squash)
- 2 Italian sausages (turkey works great), casing removed and meat cooked through
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan, combine the quinoa and 2 c. chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place peeled, cubed squash on a roasting pan and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt & pepper. Roast until tender, about 25 minutes. If you’re using frozen squash, simply defrost it in the microwave, no need to roast.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, butternut squash, sausage, sage, onion salt, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Serve warm.