Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Roasted Garlic
- 1 pound (2 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes (or use frozen, just defrost them)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large pot of salted water, boil the sweet potatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool for 2 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, toss the garlic cloves with the oil. Place on a roasting sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, until the cloves are soft to the touch. Remove from the oven, let cool, then pop them out of their skins and crush slightly.
- Once the potatoes have cooled slightly, return them to the pot and add garlic, milk, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mash until the mixture is smooth and creamy, adding more milk if necessary. You can also use an electric hand mixer to speed this up.