Title: Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
Author: Lorna Landvik
Page Count: 404
Genre: Contemporary fiction
Tone: Moving, humorous
Questions composed by MPPL Staff:
1. Was Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons a good name for the Freesia Court book club group? Why did they use this name?
2. What kept the group together over the years? Was it the books? Kids? Friendship?
3. What role did the book titles and discussions play in the novel?
4. Did you like the format of the book – how the author gave every character the opportunity to voice their thoughts?
4. The author touched on many subjects: physical abuse, homosexuality, adoption, war veterans, infidelity, religion, psychic capabilities, etc. What was the most important lesson the ladies learned together over the 30 years of their book club? Do you think the author tried to touch on too many topics?
5. Did the author do a good job of developing the characters? Did you have a favorite character? A least favorite character? Why?
6. What character was the strongest in the group? The weakest?
7. Was there a character you could empathize with the most? Why?
8. Did the physical appearances of the book club members define them?
9. What was Faith’s role in the novel? Why did the author focus on Faith’s letter writing throughout the book?
10. How did confronting Beau’s sexuality help her have the strength to confront the reality of her own past?
11. Kari faced a critical decision when Mary Jo forbids her from telling Anders that the baby is his grandchild. Do you think it was the right decision? Would you have done the same?
12. How did you feel about Kari’s impromptu decision to tell Julia the truth about her biological mother in front of Mary Jo, without Mary Jo’s prior knowledge? Were you surprised at Julia’s reaction when she found out the truth about her biological mother? Could you blame her?
13. A fight between Slip and Audrey’s children harmed their own friendship. Were you surprised at this? What role does motherhood play in the novel? How does Landvik’s portrayal of differing parenting techniques and the children they produce function as social commentary?
14. Who has the ability to sense upcoming events? How does this shape her family and friendships?
15. What man was let into the book club? Why? How do you think he changed the group dynamic?
16. Merit eventually finds Paradise, literally and figuratively. Was this a good addition to the story?
17. Marjorie had a ton of nicknames: Slip, Warrior Bear, the Big Kahuna. Why is she so easy to label? What nickname fit her the best?
18. Why do you think the author chose Slip as the first character to become terminally ill? Was it appropriate to end the novel with Faith being by Slip’s side?
19. Did you get any ideas for your own book club by reading about the Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons?
20. What are some of your fondest memories of your own book club?
If you like Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons, try…