SPOILER WARNING: These book discussion questions are highly detailed and will ruin plot points, if you have not read the book.
Author: Hillary Jordan
Page Count: 328
Genre: Historical Fiction
Tone: Compelling, Haunting, Thought-provoking
1. Whose point of view (P.O.V.) was most interesting to read?
2. Was there a main character in this book?
3. What was the main story?
4. Whose story did you want more of?
5. Would this book be different if you got to hear Pappy’s story from his P.O.V.?
6. What did you think of the love affair between Jamie and Laura?
7. What do you think that act meant to Jamie? Do you think it meant something different to Laura?
8. Did you want their relationship to last?
9. Was the sex scene written well?
10. Laura realizes that she doesn’t truly love Jamie. Why?
11. What did you think of the relationship between Laura and Henry?
12. What about between Florence and Hap?
13. Who had more equal footing in their relationship, Laura or Florence? Why?
14. Given the times, did Laura have a choice if she was going to move to the country or not?
15. Would you have moved?
16. What did it say about Henry that he didn’t even tell Laura he bought a farm?
17. Do you think Henry noticed Pappy’s bickering, unhappiness and how Laura felt around him?
18. Who had the better relationship with their father, Henry or Jamie? Why?
19. Do you think Pappy loves his sons? How can you tell?
20. When the children get sick at the farm, Henry gets Florence to nurse them. What is his reaction when she gets in the front of the truck with him?
21. Does being a racist make you a bad person?
22. Is there such thing as being “only a little racist”?
23. Do you think Laura would have considered herself a racist?
24. Would Florence have considered Laura a racist?
25. Why do you think Laura was more attractive and interesting to her family once she “had a man”?
26. What was your reaction to when Ronsel came home with enough money to buy his parents a new mule?
27. What was Henry and Laura’s reaction?
28. There is strong foreshadowing in Mudbound, did you mind? Ex: Jamie talks about Ronsel’s fate being sealed on page 212. Do you mind knowing that something awful is about to happen?
29. Why did the men “only” cut out Ronsel’s tongue?
30. Is there symbolism in Ronsel’s tongue being cut out? What does it mean?
31. Why did Jamie kill his father?
32. Do you think Jamie would’ve been a different person is he was able to talk about the traumas he experienced during the war?
33. Is there any other way that you would have killed Pappy?
34. What do you think happens to Ronsel?
35. What about Jamie?
36. Do you think Henry and Laura go on to live happy lives?
37. How can authors writing outside of their own culture sometimes be problematic? (Re: cultural appropriation)
38. Mudbound won the Bellwether Prize for Fiction, which awards $25,000 to a work of socially responsible literature that gives support to social change. How do you think Jordan’s book did this?
39. Is the setting a character in this book?
40. Do you think that this story could have been told in a different, non-southern setting?
Hillary Jordan’s website
Bellwether Prize website
Lit Lovers’ book discussion guide
NPR interview with Hillary Jordan
Goodreads reviews (watch out for spoilers)
Hillary Jordan author talk
If you liked Mudbound, try…
Bloodroot by Amy Greene
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
Sula by Toni Morrison