SPOILER WARNING: These book discussion questions are highly detailed and will ruin plot points, if you have not read the book.
Title: The Help
Author: Kathryn Stockett
Page Count: 534
Genre: Historical fiction
Tone: Moving, fast-paced, uplifting
1. Who were the heroes of The Help? Why?
2. What characters did you feel most connected to? Why?
3. Were there moments in The Help where you despised a character? Why? When? Are there any characters in The Help who have no redeeming qualities?
4. Who is Hilly? Do you think she is a good friend? What about a good employer? Do you think she is a good mother? Can the reader connect to Hilly? Why or why not?
5. Who is Elizabeth? Do you think she is a good friend? Is she a good employer? Do you think she is a good mother? Can the reader connect to Elizabeth? Why or why not?
6. Does Skeeter want to get married? Who does she find to marry? Do you think it is a good match?
7. What is the outcome of Skeeter and Stuart’s relationship? Why? What was Skeeter’s reaction?
8. Aibileen takes care of Mae Mobley. Do you think the child and Aibileen would have remained close as Mae aged? Do you think Mae would’ve become a racist like her mother? Can you be racist and still care for someone? Is that right or wrong? Is racism a nature or nurture character trait?
9. What was Minny’s revenge against Miss Hilly? Do you think this was right or wrong? Would you have taken revenge this far?
10. Stockett uses dialect when writing her African American characters. What did this add to the story? Did you ever find it hard to read or distracting? Can you think of other good books that use heavy dialect?
11. Did the Caucasian characters speak in dialect? Why or why not? Do you think this is problematic?
12. Racism is an obvious prejudice in The Help. Are any characters discriminated against for other reasons?
13. Do you feel as if Celia’s struggle is equal to Aibileen or Minny’s struggle? Why or why not?
14. Did it surprise you to find out that The Help was written by a Southern, white woman? What was your reaction to learning the author’s heritage?
15. The Help received rave reviews and became a best seller, but it also received negative reviews. What are some reasons that people might not like this book?
16. Some of the negative reviews mentioned that Stockett never truly got inside Aibileen and Minny’s heads. Do you think this is true?
17. Some critics of The Help believe the book to suffer from the “white savior complex”. This is a plot device where a Caucasian character becomes the benevolent benefactor of “helpless” persons of color. For example, think about movies like Avatar, The Blind Side, and Freedom Writers.
• Critics state that these films are not about justice, they are about having an emotional experience that validates privilege. What does that mean? Does that connect back to The Help?
• In addition, “…these films capitalize on the stories of people of color, yet instead of telling the film through their eyes, they are presented as stories of the white people who help them.” How is that problematic? Do you see this happening in The Help?
18. Do you think Kathryn Stockett is a good writer? Why or why not? Do you understand why The Help was so wildly popular?
19. Does racism still exist today? In what forms? How can we combat it?
20. What other novels would you recommend that strongly deal with racism? What is the benefit of reading a novel on such a heavy issue?
If you liked The Help, try…